There is a long-lasting relationship between hummingbirds and flowers. There are flowers that hummers get attracted to. There are flowers that they dislike.
The best flowers that attract hummingbirds are always bright, particularly red. In addition, they seem to have a special love for flowers that are tubular and nectar-rich.
In the below article, I will discuss the top 5 bright colored and tubular-structure flowers that hummingbirds are attracted to. For this purpose, I chose red and purple colors as those are the most attractive colors for the hummingbirds.
Which are the most popular red flowers that attract hummingbirds?
- Columbine (Aquilegia) is quite popular in the USA; you can find it in shades. It grows in USDA growing zones 3 to 9. It is a spring to early summer plant.
- Red Daylilies (Hemerocallis) are the most popular red flower that attracts hummingbirds. They grow in USDA growing zones 3 to 10. It is a summer backyard plant that will bloom in your garden.
- Cardinal Flower (Lobelia cardinalis) is a scarlet plant that grows in partisan shade and sun in your garden (USDA growing zones 3-9).
- Penstemon (Penstemon) is a trumpet plant that grows in partisan shade and full sun and can survive in drought (USDA growing zones 3-9).
- Bee Balm (Monarda didyma) is also available in other colors, but red is the most popular red flower that attracts hummingbirds (USDA growing zones 4-9).
Which are the most popular purple flowers that attract hummingbirds?
- Salvia (Salvia spp), also called Sage, can be grown in your garden. One can grow other varieties of salvia in their backyard (USDA growing zones 3-10).
- Hummingbird Mint (Agastache foeniculum) is a wildflower, also called anise hyssop, with a soft and sweet odor (USDA growing zones 4-8).
- Beard Tongue (Penstemon app) is a nectar replenished plant called penstemon that needs sun to bloom (USDA growing zones 3-9).
- Foxglove (Digitalis purpurea) grows in spring and needs to be wet in proper soil and is poisonous (USDA growing zones 4-8).
- Aster (Symphyotrichum spp) grows in fall and late summer and needs proper sunlight. It needs to be drenched in moist soil (USDA growing zones 3-10).
Which are the most popular tubular flowers that attract hummingbirds?
- Virginia Bluebells (Mertensia Virginia) grow in moist, wealthy soil and integrate with daffodils for a spring show. Adds different color-loving perennials to mask the fading greenery later in the season (USDA growing zones 3-9).
- Firecracker Plant (Cuphea app) comes in various colors, but plants are generally tipped in pink, yellow, or white, comparable to a lit cigar or firecracker (USDA growing zones 8-11).
- Flowering Tobacco (Nicotiana alata) is an adaptable plant that reseeds conveniently and grows first-class in the complete sun and rich soils. It also comes in a selection of colors and sizes (USDA growing zones 3-9).
- Tall Verbena (Verbena Bonariensis) grows in full sun for the first-rate season-long shows. It reseeds with no trouble for repeat appearances (USDA growing zones 7-11).
- Red-Hot Poker (Kniphofia Hybrids) grows in sunlight and drenched soil and comes in various colors.
I hope, you enjoyed the beauty of the most attractive flowers in the eyes of hummingbirds.